Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on December 10 and 11, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’re focusing on the nexus between Type 2 Diabetes and heart health. Specifically we discuss a heart smart diet with registered dietician Shannon Crocker, what it’s like to live with Type 2 Diabetes with Cherylene Pinaroc, getting on an appropriate exercise regime with fitness expert Dr. Stacy Irvine DC and how mindfulness can help with Type 2 Diabetes protocols with mindfulness expert Tracey Soghrati.
We specifically discuss:
Heart Smart Diet
- Why is nutrition important for someone living with Type 2 Diabetes?
- Heart healthy foods
- Does a Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis require a complete diet overhaul?
- Are there absolute food restrictions?
- Focus on foods to include in the diet
- Are there specific fruits and vegetables that are important for a Type 2 Diabetes diet?
- What about grains?
- Proteins for better health
- Superfoods….foods that are super
- Top shopping tips
What Its Like To Live With Type 2 Diabetes
- Receiving a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes
- Reacting to the diagnosis
- Day to day management of Type 2 Diabetes
- How do you know if you’re experiencing low blood sugar?
- How loved ones are impacted
- What is the toll of Type 2 Diabetes
- How has Covid-19 impacted the treatment of Type 2 Diabetes?
- Recommended lifestyle choices
- Misconceptions and stereotypes
An Appropriate Exercise Regimen for Those With Type 2 Diabetes
- What are the fitness goals of someone diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes?
- What are the fitness challenges and risks for those diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes?
- What makes a fitness program sustainable?
- Communication with the health care team
- Reasonable fitness expectations
- How to get started…and why getting started is so important
- The benefits of retaining a personal trainer
- What is the best ‘first step’?
How Mindfulness Can Help with Type 2 Diabetes Protocols
- What are the wellness challenges for someone diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes?
- Changes in blood sugar can change mood, energy and anxiety
- Diabetes distress
- The biological impact of mindfulness: decreasing inflammation
- Mindfulness reduces emotional reactivity
- Better coping skills and less reliance on drugs
- Social impacts of mindfulness
- How does mindfulness actually work in this context?
- Living in the moment rather than being overwhelmed
- Applicable mindfulness tools
To learn more about living healthy with Type 2 Diabetes and healthy hearts go here
To learn more about Shannon Crocker go here
To learn more about Cherylene Pinaroc go here
To learn more about Dr. Stacy Irvine DC go here.
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here