Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on November 27 and 28, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss how to control your blood sugar naturally, with Joel Thuna, the dangers of eating processed foods with Shauna Lindzon, cities changing diabetes with Adam Marsella and conscious transformation with Tracey Soghrati
We specifically discuss:
How To Control Your Blood Sugar Naturally
- What is hyperglycemia?
- What does insulin do?
- What is Type 2 diabetes?
- The increased health risks associated with Type 2 diabetes
- Is Type 2 diabetes controllable through lifestyle decisions?
- Diet choices
- The glycemic index
- Reduce “white” processed carbohydrates
- Fiber: soluble and insoluble
- Vitamin D3 and K2
- Supplements: Chromium, Goldenseal Extract, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Green Tea
The Dangers of Consuming Processed Foods
- Not all processed foods are the same
- NOVA: whole foods, minimally processed foods, ultra-processed foods
- What is a whole food?
- What is a minimally processed food?
- What is an ultra-processed food?
- Why should we choose whole foods?
- Time and convenience
- Why should we avoid ultra-processed foods?
Cities Changing Diabetes
- What is Cities Changing Diabetes?
- The connection between urbanization and diabetes
- Suburbanization: Mississauga
- Why is Mississauga participating in the program?
- What is the benefit of a city participating in the program?
- Every city is different: Copenhagen as an example
- Is the program scalable?
- What change requires in order to occur
- Pattern recognition
- Envision what it would look like to break the pattern
- Reverse engineering
- Behavioural intervention and continuous practice
- What is holding you back in the change process?
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read articles by Joel Thuna in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here
To learn more about Cities Changing Diabetes go here.
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here.