Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on May 21 and 22, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss cannabis for mental health and anxiety with Umar Syed, whether you are a “salad freak” with Naomi Bussin, the hottest yoga trends with Jelayna Da Silva and the most popular gut health questions on social media with Dr. Desiree Nielsen ND
We specifically discuss:
Cannabis for Mental Health and Anxiety
- Why is the treatment of anxiety and mental health so important now?
- Can cannabinoids treat anxiety and mental health issues?
- CBD impacts serotonin receptor sensitivity
- Research that supports CBD treating anxiety
- Delivery system
- Is there a role for THC for the treatment of mental health?
- The endocannabinoid system
- CBD as compared to pharmaceutical drugs used to treat anxiety
- Is CBD addictive?
- Drug interactions with anticoagulants and antidepressants
- How does the body take in cannabinoids (such as CBD)?
- The expense of delivery systems
- Is CBD appropriate for chronic conditions
- Ongoing clinical research
- For more information go here.
Are you a “Salad Freak”?
- What is a “salad freak”
- Salad Freak, by Jess Damuck
- Why don’t people eat more salad?
- Salad hacks
- Salads can include protein
- Following the recipes…or not
- The pitfalls of “freestyling”
- Tested recipes
The Hottest Yoga Trends
- Given that yoga is an ancient aesthetic, are “trends” relevant?
- Virtual yoga
- Outdoor yoga classes
- Active meditation
- Yoga in the Vineyard Experience
Gut Health Social Media Questions
- What is the low fodmap diet?
- Are fodmaps bad?
- Are low fodmap diets meant to be long term?
- Is a low fodmap diet appropriate if you don’t suffer from IBS?
- Causes of bloating
- Food combining
To learn more about show sponsor Opticann and Umar Syed go here.
To read Naomi Bussin’s cookbook reviews in The Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Jelayna Da Silva go here.
To learn more about Dr. Desiree Nielsen ND go here.