Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on August 20 and 21, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss protein supplementation with Joel Thuna, what a tennis tournament doctor does with Dr. Erin Boynton, the best perennials to plant in Fall with Melissa Cameron and great cookbooks you might not have heard of with Naomi Bussin
We specifically discuss:
- Is protein supplementation just for body builders?
- Why do we need protein?
- What is protein made up of?
- How does the body process protein?
- What happens to excess protein?
- Our ability to process protein as we age
- How much protein do we need?
- Sources of protein
- What is a “high quality” source of protein?
- Quantity, Completeness, Absorbability of Protein
- Measuring absorbability of proteins
- Plant based proteins
- The benefits of whey protein isolates
What Does a Tennis Tournament Doctor Do?
- What does a tournament physician do?
- Do players have their own doctors?
- The WTA and advances in health and wellness
- Education programs
- On court injuries and primary care treatment
- Do professional athletes manage their injuries differently?
- Are tournaments glamorous behind the scenes?
- Erin’s favourite player: Kim Clijsters
The Best Perennials To Plant In Fall
- Why is Fall a great time to plant perennials?
- Are there perennials that should be planted in Fall: bulb flowers and peonies
- How should we prepare the soil in advance of Fall planting?
- Looking at gaps in your garden
- Perennials that bloom for longer periods
- What to look for in plants for Fall planting
- Avoid root bound plants
- Caring for the perennials that you’ve planted in Fall
- Which plants should we avoid planting in Fall?
Great Cookbooks You’ve Never Heard Of
- Why do some cookbooks fall between the cracks?
- Sicilia: Ben Tish
- That Noodle Life: Mike Le and Stephanie Le
- Colu Cooks: Colu Henry
To learn more about show sponsor Pure Le Natural go here.
To read articles by Joel Thuna in The Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Dr. Erin Boynton go here
To learn more about Melissa Cameron go here.
To read articles by Naomi Bussin in The Tonic Magazine go here.