Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on November 19 and 20, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss how the medications you take may impact your sleep with Geriatric pharmacist Andy Donald, the science behind the “Blood Type Diet” with researcher David Nelson, mindfulness, anxiety, big emotions and avoidance with mindfulness expert Tracy Soghrati and how to get rid of the bags under your eyes with beauty expert Vee Mistry
We specifically discuss:
How Medications Impact Your Sleep
- What is a “good night’s sleep”?
- What happens if you don’t get good sleep?
- The sleep stages: deep sleep and REM sleep
- Why do we get less restful sleep as we age?
- Circadian rhythm: serotonin and melatonin
- How the timing of medications impacts sleep
- Sleep medications to avoid
The “Blood Type” Diet
- What is the theory behind the “Blood Type” diet?
- Is the theory scientifically grounded?
- Diets vs. lifestyle
- What should people with different blood types eat?
- Restrictive diets
- Supplements on the side
Mindfulness and Avoidance
- Anxiety and avoidance
- Protective behaviour: procrastination
- Difficult conversations
- The cycle of avoidance
- Big feelings
- The power of naming your emotions
Getting Rid of Bags Under Your Eyes
- What are the causes of bags under the eyes
- Underlying medical conditions
- Lifestyle choices
- Gua Sha cryo sticks
- Thinner consistency for eye related beauty products
- eye patch
- When should plastic surgery be considered?
To learn more about show sponsor, Pharma-Z powered by the Health Depot go here
To learn more about Andy Donald go here
To learn more about David Nelson go here
To learn more about Tracy Soghrati go here.
To learn more about Vee Mistry go here