Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on April 22 and 23, 2023 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss whether the medications you take are causing or contributing to dementia with geriatric pharmacist Andy Donald, excitotoxicity with researcher David Nelson ND, trends in the treatment of migraines with Dr. Ian Finklestein, and how to create a thriving workplace with researcher Laura Putnam.
We specifically discuss:
Are Your Medications Causing or Contributing To Dementia?
- Older Canadians are taking too many medications (and maybe the wrong ones)
- How do you know if you’re taking the “wrong” medications
- The Beers List
- Anticholinergic drugs: a problematic class of drugs
- 2/3 of all seniors are taking 5 or more medications: compounding the problem
- Over-the-counter drugs: Antihistamines being used for sleep
- Sleep hypnotics
- For more information – speak to a clinical pharmacist
- What are excitotoxins?
- Where are excitotoxins found?
- How do excitotoxins contribute to neurological disorders?
- NMDA receptors
- Are excitotoxins from natural sources just as bad as additives?
- Excitotoxins and our microbiome: Dysbiosis
- Salt, sugar, fat + hyper palatability of foods
- What changes should we make?
- The current state of research
Trends in the Treatment of Migraines
- Statistics on migraines
- What is a migraine?
- Why are migraines the biggest cause of disability in Canada
- Why do migraines impact women 3:1 men?
- Migraine triggers/causes
- Why are migraines underdiagnosed?
- Migraine treatment trends
- Qulipta and Ubrelvy
- The future of migraine treatment
Creating a Thriving Workplace
- Why should companies care about their employees’ wellness?
- What are managers misunderstanding about wellness?
- Do corporate wellness programs actually benefit employees?
- Are the underlying problems really wellness issues?
- Employee assistance programs
- Management burnout
- Management leading practical wellness
- Shifting from wellness programs to how work gets done
To learn more about show sponsor, Pharma-Z powered by the Health Depot go here
To learn more about Andy Donald go here
To learn more about David Nelson ND go here
To learn more about Dr. Ian Finklestein go here
To learn more about Laura Putnam go here.