Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on September 30 and October 1 2023 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in The Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss the concept of obesity with Dr. Sasha High MD, why it is so hard to pay attention with researcher Dr. David Nelson ND, how to avoid gas and bloating with dietician Shauna Lindzon and pelvic floor dysfunction with physiotherapist Dr. Sinead Dufour.
We specifically discuss:
Rethinking the Concept of Obesity
- The factors that lead to obesity
- Is obesity a chronic disease?
- Do most doctors treat obesity as a disease regulated by the brain?
- Why is obesity so prevalent today?
- Our ‘obesogenic’ environment
- Lifestyle decisions – exercise, movement
- The stigma of being overweight
- Tools for the mental health aspects of obesity
- Mindfulness and cognitive interventions
Are Our Attention Spans Diminishing?
- Are we more distracted?
- Why are our attention spans diminishing?
- The flood of information
- Our expectations
- Shallow thinking
- What can we do to concentrate more?
- Digital disengagement
Help, I’ve Got Gas!
- What causes gas and bloating?
- Foods that cause gas
- The fermentable fiber that bacteria in the intestines eats
- Other factors
- Food additives
- How do we improve our digestion?
- Tips to alleviate pain
Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- What is pelvic floor dysfunction?
- How do you know if you have pelvic floor dysfunction?
- The pelvic organs
- The manifestation of pelvic floor dysfunction
- Reluctance to talk about pelvic floor dysfunction
- Early treatment is crucial
- Kegel exercises
To learn more about Dr. Sasha High MD go here
To learn more about Dr. David Nelson ND go here
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here
To learn more about Dr. Sinead Dufour go here.