Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on October 21 and 22, 2023 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in The Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss lifestyle and pharmaceutical solutions for a good night’s sleep with clinical pharmacist Andy Donald, the importance of strength training as we age with rehab specialist Sender Deutsch DC, newly opened and Michelin star recognized restaurants in Toronto with tastemaker Brigitte Foisy and the power of perception with authors Lynda-Ross Vega and Gary Jordan.
We specifically discuss:
- Why do people struggle with sleep as the days grow shorter?
- The perils of napping
- Exercise and sleep
- Sleep regulation as we age
- Lifestyle choices
- Avoiding caffeine, nicotine and alcohol
- Limiting “screen time” before bedtime
- Meditation and mindfulness
- The sanctity of your bedroom
- Safer medications
- Problematic medications
Strength Training as We Age
- What happens to our muscle mass as we age?
- When does muscle mass start to diminish?
- Why does it matter if we lose our muscle mass?
- What does strength training do?
- Is it ever too late to start strength training?
- What is a satisfactory exercise regimen?
- “Taking the muscle to fatigue”
- How long should your workouts last?
- Collateral benefits of strength training
The Best New and Michelin Star Recognized Toronto Restaurants
- Michelin “Green” Star
- Other eco-friendly restaurants in the GTA
- Kappo Sato
- 20 Victoria
- Bib restaurants
- Friday Burger Company
The Power of Perception
- What is perception?
- Why is perception relevant?
- How we filter perception is different for everyone
- A perception style is inherent
- Every perceptual style has strengths (and blind spots)
- How do you know what type of perceptual style you have?
- 6 perceptual styles: Activity, Adjustments, Flow, Goals, Methods, Vision
- How can people get along if they have different perceptual styles?
- Are there cultural impacts on perception styles?
To learn more about show sponsor, Pharma-Z powered by the Health Depot go here
To learn more about Andy Donald go here
To learn more about Sender Deutsch go here
To learn more about Brigitte Foisy go here
To learn more about Lynda-Ross Vega and Gary Jordan go here.