Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on November 18 and 19, 2023 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in The Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss the treatment of pain with clinical pharmacist Andy Donald, the neurobiology of fear and anxiety with researcher Dr. Mihaela Iordanova Phd., how our diets change as we age with Registered Dietician, Shauna Lindzon and living with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension with Joanne Mainwood.
We specifically discuss:
The Treatment of Pain
- Acute and chronic pain
- Neuropathic pain
- Pain as we age: increased pain threshold but less pain tolerance
- Lifestyle choices to boost endogenous opioid production
- What happens when pain goes untreated?
- Pain, depression and sleep
- The power of exercise
- Over-the-counter solutions
- Anti-inflammatories: pros and cons
- Other prescription drugs
The Neurobiology of Fear and Anxiety
- What part of the brain processes fear?
- How does fear manifest physically?
- The classical responses to fear: fight, flight and freeze
- Fawning is a response specific to humans
- Contrasting fear and anxiety
- Manifestations of both fear and anxiety
- Overcoming fear or anxiety
- Mindfulness as a tool for dealing with anxiety
Changing Diets as we Age
- Our needs change as we age
- Why should we adjust our diets as we age?
- A focus on maximizing protein
- Which protein is best?
- Vitamin D
- Lifestyle support
- Make your calories nutrient rich
Living With Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- What is Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH)?
- Why is PAH hard to diagnose?
- What is it like living with PAH?
- Challenges and stigmas
- The cost of medications
- Support system for PAH
- The importance of early diagnosis
To learn more about show sponsor, Pharma-Z powered by the Health Depot go here
To learn more about Andy Donald go here
To learn more about Dr. Mihaela Iordanova Phd go here
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here
To learn more about Joanne Mainwood and Arterial Pulmonary Hypertension go here.