Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on February 26 and 27 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll the connection between meditation and a good night’s sleep with Stephanie Kersta, “fawning” as a response to trauma with Tracey Soghrati, how to replicate restaurant dishes at home with Naomi Bussin, and the power of boundaries with Hina Khan
We specifically discuss:
Meditation and Better Sleep
- What are common sleep issues?
- Has Covid-19 impacted our sleep issues?
- The interconnectedness of mind and body
- How does meditation fit in to the mind-body connection?
- How can meditation help promote healthy sleep patterns?
- The bridge between the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems
- Different meditation practices throughout the day
- What does a healthy sleep regime look like?
- Sleep hygiene
- Mindfulness practices if you wake from your sleep
- How to augment a home meditation practice
- The environment for meditation
Fawning in Response to Trauma
- Why are we talking about fawning?
- What are the typical responses to trauma?
- What is fawning?
- How is the fawning response learned?
- Please and appease
- What happens to adults who fawn?
- Being a chameleon
- How do you break the cycle?
How To Cook That Restaurant Dish At Home
- Why would you want to recreate a restaurant dish at home?
- Asking for the recipe
- Web searching
- Restaurant cookbooks
- Gjelina Huckleberry and Sarabeths
- The sophisticated palette …and your server
- The “Vegan No Show Salad at Bar Isabel
- Where do you start when trying to figure out a recipe?
- The roasted carrots at Mamakas
- Making dishes you’ve eaten on holiday
- La Dolce e Vita
The Power of Boundaries
- Why do people have difficulties with their personal boundaries?
- Do women have more issues with boundaries?
- The culture of organizations and companies
- How do you know if you need to put in boundaries?
- Responding and not reacting
- Not responding = a boundary
- What about pushback?
- Knowing yourself
- Is asserting boundaries narcissistic?
To learn more about Stephanie Kersta go here
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here.
To read articles by Naomi Bussin in The Tonic Magazine go here
To learn more about Hina Khan go here.